Friday, January 27, 2012

First Impressions: Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai!

Sorry for the mega-delay on these series, but I mean...all these series...

So many series...shudder

And this series...so much loli...why...

Photobucket
A scene completely related to lolis

Day 1: Too much loli. Haven't seen this much loli since I did that Ro-Kyu-Bu! marathon after the season ended. Slowly losing track of what appropriate anime proportions are on a person. I need...an eyecandy series...that doesn't involve lolis.

Day 2: I can feel the effects of the loli overdose. Slight nausea, but severe fatigue. Urge to pre-emptively punch a baby before it starts to cry is rising steadily. Running low on water. I'm reaching towards my Durarara! playlist, but my strength has already been sapped. It may be too late.

Day 3: If you are reading this, know that I have been another unfortunate victim of the loli-infested anime series trend that has been spreading these last few seasons. I will write down my will here to be safe...I wish to leave my love of Miki Hoshii to MorningLescue, my music collection to BartreTheBeast, my Yuruyuri and Softenni collections to NotMoe, and any future anime girls I may have a one-night-stand with to CrimsonMonarch. And with that, I can write no longer. Tell Azusa Nakano that I loved her...

Photobucket
More than enough blonde loli for BartreTheBeast to ogle over

The soundtrack is the variation of the same tune repeated over and over again. I mean, the tune in itself is nice, but have a bit more creativity please. The OP (Happy Girl by Eri Kitamura) isn't anything special (just kinda energetic) and the ED (Coloring by Yui Horie) is pretty much the same. Nothing much to see here, let's move on.

Graphics are ok, but for some reason they messed around with the noses to make them bulge out. Why would you do that? Isn't it easier and cuter to leave the noses small, just like they were in the original light novel drawings? Sometimes I just don't get why studios do what they do...It bugs me every time I see the girls, and I think that's a near-fatal flaw in a series that's supposed to appeal via looks, especially since it could have been avoided very easily.

As for the plot and characters, I have to grudgingly respect the series for what it has done. Sure, it has its fanservice moments. Sure, the obligatory "harem" of lolis is evident from the beginning. But so far (and I hope this continues), the series has done an excellent job of making the situation realistic. What I mean by this is that by this time, any other series would have probably included 2 bath scenes and a sleepwalking loli into bed-at-night fanservice scene. I applaud Papakiki for staying true to the plot and spending the time introducing the characters, developing the situation, and setting up for a better plotline than "lol I have small cute girls in my house". I mean, yes, that's what it's going to boil down to anyways, but I feel as if Papakiki can pull something more out of it. I may be overestimating the quality of the setup, but I hope I'm not.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Why, I turn around and there's a LOLI IN MY FACE

One thing I would hate for to happen is a stereotypical way to insert the "family" theme into the series. If I get an idiotic "oh no, one of my lolis - er, my sisters are missing" story into "yay I found her, we should stick together because family is good" conclusion, I will rage pretty hard.

Other than that, this is gonna be one of the few series this season that I will be looking forward to every week. Since it's a 26-episoder, we're gonna be stuck with these girls for a very, very long time.

Status: Watching with relatively high expectations.

3 comments: