Friday, January 27, 2012

First Impressions: Inu x Boku SS

Another relatively decent series.

I mean c'mon, it's the only shoujo series of the season, give it a break. It looks good and has funny back-and-forth conversations. Better than Zero no Tsukaima.

Photobucket
dat apology

Inu x Boku SS...I'd say this has the most interesting premise out of the lot. A nicely introspective tsundere girl with a butler (typical) along with weirdo friends in a mansion doing everyday things. Oh and everybody can transform into monsters, meaning that they'll face random villains during their lunch breaks or whatever. That's fine too. But yeah, as a shoujo series it doesn't seem too shabby.

The soundtrack? Eh. I think it's pretty good. The pieces tend to be very quiet, with instruments ranging anywhere from a music box to a solo string performance. It's noticeable and good, but it's not fantastic. The OP (Nirvana by MUCC) is ok for a male vocal, but it just sounds like it's been run through an autotuner. It might be just me, but I think that there's simply something about Japanese lingual characteristics that prevent singers from putting more of an "oomph" in their songs. I want the singers to shout, not to plateau at a reasonably high volume. There's a definite difference and I don't hear enough of the former (the Ano Hana OP did it well but I haven't heard of any other OP since that was as good with male vocals). I like the ED (Rakuen no Photograph by Yuuichi Nakamura) quite a bit though - nicely energetic but actually uses the male vocals in a more ballad-like fashion.

The graphics are good enough for eye candy - the lines are very thin and the colors are a bit on the pale side. It sort of reminds me of Working'!! from the Fall 2011 season but with the rainbow sucked out of it. I really find the characters well drawn though - from the silly scroll spirit to the huge skeleton that Kana Hanazawa plays, I find the designs to be well transferred from the manga and rather attractive.

Photobucket
vampires are everywhere

The plot? I mean...it's a slice-of-life shoujo series with fantasy elements. What more do I need to say? If you like the whole "girl being harangued by a ridiculously cool guy that's obsessed with her" premise, then you should watch this. I mean, it's a good change from all of the "boy gets X number of girls" series, so might as well try it out, right?

Status: Watching because it's slightly different, if not by much. Besides, shoujo series are usually more emotional than other genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment