Saturday, January 7, 2012

Conclusion: Working'!!

Speaking of good sequels, here's the other, highly anticipated, afterword of the Working!! adaptation - let me introduce to you Working'!!

(No, that's not a typo.)

Photobucket
oh God I forgot about encumbrance

As I've said before, I don't really like reviewing good sequels because...what is there to say about them? Oh well.

The graphics are again clean and neat - you can tell a noticeable difference between the seasons due to the much cleaner drawing (probably because of the increased use of computer drawing tools). Nothing much to say - I've always thought that Working'!! was one of the cuter series I've seen, and season 2 does nothing to take away from that impression. I also like how they cleaned up the facial proportions (Yamada's eyes were a bit too close together in season 1...there's just something about being nearly cross-eyed that drives me away.)

Photobucket
You mean the MAN tour.
...It still sounds somewhat awkward

The sounds are good, they essentially reused the same soundtrack and then added a bubbly-as-hell OP (Coolish Walk) that got an award from MorningLescue for 2011. Although the OP may not necessarily be a masterpiece, it continues the Working!! tradition by making everyone feel like they need to sing along to the song...except it's going at 60 MPH.

Yay! Hyper OPs!

So let's fast-forward to the plot. Or rather, lack thereof. Again, Working!! is essentially like Ika Musume in that they simply use the good cast they have to create comedic situations. I mean...don't fix what ain't broken. But what frustrates me is the single-rail development between Inami and Souta. Don't get me wrong - the twisted-love-couple-thingy development (rather reminiscent of the androphobic girl from MM!) is great, and I really like Inami as a character. What I don't like is the fact that no other character in the entire damn cast develops (except maybe Takanashi's second oldest sister) or changes. It's frustrating. I mean, they go through all these cool plot twists and events and what happens? They're back at the starting point. I get that a comedic cast requires stability else the writers have a harder time writing the jokes in, but seriously...we need a bit of change, folks. Especially when they do a huge plot twist with Yachiyo and Satou and then....nothing happens. I hate that crap.

Photobucket
Being Satou Jun is suffering

Other than that, I mean, what can I say? It's working (pun not intended). You have a bunch of wacko characters that are well-made and bouncing off each other in comedic fashion...in a restaurant. It never seems to end, to start, or to change. To paraphrase Stephen Colbert, Working'!! will do the same thing Wednesday as it did on Monday, no matter what happened on Tuesday. If you want a series that will make you giggle gently, then take this. If you want things to be somewhat flowing and evolving, don't pick this up.

Photobucket
Photobucket
ezmode

No comments:

Post a Comment