Sunday, January 8, 2012

Conclusion: Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!!

Moar reviews!

At least I'm doing it for a series that's still better than anything in Guilty Crown.

Shown: Majikoi episode 1 part 1/3

FANSERVICE INTO FANSERVICE INTO FANSERVICE.

Except not like Maken-ki!.

I think Majikoi is the only Fall 2011 series to mix fanservice, humor, and perverted fanservice humor in a way  that's coherent. For that, I give this series major props. This, combined with the solid production values, should get a good grade from me...if it wasn't for the horrific ending.

Graphics are great - really shiny and really smooth. The girls are drawn nicely and I like how Miyako's (the purple-haired girl) drawn to make her look more perverted than in the visual novel. Either way, the action scenes are also somewhat decent (gets worse at the end when all they're doing is destroying half of the city and what seems like the entire Japanese army). These drawings also seem to be getting closer to the picture-like quality of VNs, which I definitely like - since VNs have less drawing to do (via reusing sprites), they often have better quality drawings than anime series (which have to pump out ezpz sketches for upcoming episodes), so an effort to make the series look more like the VN is a good thing in my opinion.

Photobucket
That, my friends, is trouble.

The OP/ED/OST combo is also great - both the OP (U-n-d-e-r--STANDING!) AND ED (Kimi no Maji wo Choudai) make a good combo, the ED is relevant to the series, and both are energetic enough to be running music. The full OP is a bit repetitive, but it has a good guitar part so whatever. The overall soundtrack is definitely going in my collection as soon as someone organizes all of the stuff well enough (and some more music CDs come out).

I think the plot is rather profound. It speaks to us about what a family truly is through the evolution of the Kazama Famiry over time. It speaks to us about how we can really view relationships with each other and what we consider to be "love". It speaks to us about how power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. It speaks to us about when it may be the appropriate time to send in the Marines instead of the local police force. It speaks to us about life.

Or it could just be about penises.

Photobucket
ouch

MorningLescue tells me that the anime adaptation strays from the VN a lot (well, his exact words were "where is the anime getting this from?!") Since there's no real plot except for the development of the harem, I think that works out relatively well anyways. Again, the comedy is pretty good and I like how the studio used their brains to figure out how to join comedy and perverted stuff at the hip without turning it into an abomination. Since I am a fan of the rom-com + harem genre, it was great to see a good harem form and compete with each other. I think a harem works best when the girls are interacting/fighting with each other (because of the lulz) and boy, was there a lot of that in this series. GJ with the fanservice Lerche.

However, the straying from the VN becomes more and more apparent towards the ending when they're about to conclude the major arc. The ending...is rather...abrupt. What do I mean by that? I mean "bad guys are winning ezpz --> good guys kicking ass completely at random --> harem end" abrupt. What does any of the points have to do with any of the other points in the sequence? Again, I think this is another case where the studio just gave up after seeing that there could only be 12 episodes for this series and winged the hell out of the plot. Terrible idea; this conclusion left a bitter taste in my mouth that I could not get rid of for the longest time. I await To Love-Ru style OVAs to fill me up.

Ignore the plot and focus on the girls and you'll be fine. Think about what's actually going on...at your peril.

Photobucket
That's right, FORWARD through those awkward scenes!

No comments:

Post a Comment