Sunday, September 23, 2012

Expectations - Fall 2012 Anime

Now, you may be asking, "Where is my Yuruyuri season 2 Conclusions post you son of a bitch ExtraCareful?"

Calm yo five-dollar ass down. I got this. And besides, this is probably way more interesting. Here comes Fall 2012 - is your body lady?

Oh, and again, as per usual, we will only be reviewing series that perk our interest. Sorry.

Colors:
ExtraCareful - blue as usual
OboeOtaku - red for remilia
CrimsonMonarch - um green i guess
MorningLescue - as close to orange yet still readable as possible

Upcoming TV Series

From the New World (9/28/12)

Photobucket

The first thing I thought of was "Columbus sailed the ocean blue". Well, this seems a bit more exciting at the very least. Apocalyptic events are nice too. 

It's 4-girl slice-of-life...with dystopian adventures? Uh...interesting. I'll definitely take at least a look.


Photobucket

Oo, chains. But it's shoujo.

Shoujo nope.

I mean, the series seems good for a shoujo genre but unfortunately I don't have time. I might save it up for later though. If you guys aren't familiar with it, take a look at the manga.

Kamisama Hajimemashita (10/1/12)

Photobucket

I have no patience for shoujo. I'll let Extracareful take care of this. Along with everything else.

^

Mmm...yet another shoujo where a handsome male with silver hair and furry animal ears dicks around with a naive girl (plus supernatural adventure side-arcs). Not really up for it (although I think I'm the only one on the blog crew that could even tolerate this past the first episode), but it's just the standard series - nothing worth watching. But then again, none of us should be saying that after watching shit like Mashiro-iro Symphony and Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate.


Photobucket

TRANSFORMERS ROBOTS IN DISGUISE

It's like with Pokemon. You can tell when people are starting to run out of ideas.

WHY GOD? WHY? Trash unless first ep proves me wrong. 


Photobucket

I...what...don't...huh? A supercell writer...made this...and it's going to get a supercell OP? And Miyano Mamoru (Light Yagami [Death Note], Kida Masaomi [Durarara!]) is voicing the yellow...thingy? I don't even... 

I hope the OP is good. I need more music.
...Oh the anime? Whatever.

Dafuq is this?

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! (10/3/12)

Photobucket

Whenever I see that main girl, I keep getting reminded of Another. Will this provide as much hilarity, though? We'll have to see.

Reminds me vaguely of Cuteg for some reason. Can't possibly be as funny as Another though. Unless this has the school building going on a killing spree. Also, middle school debut, lols.

Looks moe enough for me to watch.

You tards...on second thought, this gives me vibes similar to that of Derpa. I hope the conversations are at least as good though...

Hayate no Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You [Season 3] (10/3/12)

Photobucket

People who have suffered through the mediocre-to-bad production values and dragging storyline that was the last two Hayate no Gotoku seasons know how much of a blessing it is to have Manglobe Studios take over. Furthermore, the author, Hata Kenjiro, will personally take over the writing. Thank you. Just...thank you.

The plot of this (HnG has plot? What?) is supposedly anime-only, so I guess I'll probably watch it. Looking foreward to more OUJO-SAMA.

It's ojou-sama...

I don't watch Hayate, I read it.

^nub.

Looking forward to this. BISHOUJOS! 

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb [Season 4] (10/4/12)

Photobucket

This picture might give me some motivation to look into the series. Although 4 seasons is quite a bit to be looking into.

This series seems to be pretty popular but 4 seasons is too much investment.

K-On! is one thing. This, on the other hand...I'm not sure if I want to fall into this series, as Shaft-y as it may be.

Zetsuen no Tempest (10/4/12)

Photobucket

I automatically skim over anything without some slight degree of moe on the cover. 

This might be worth watching.

Interesting. I also like how apparently it pays homage to plays by Shakespeare. Will take a look.

Busou Shinki (10/4/12)

Photobucket

Looks like another IS, might give it a chance.  

Female action figures with weapons. I see. Reminds me simultaneously of Figu@Mate and Midori no Hibi. That is to say, it sounds retarded. Then again, most animes sound retarded from the descriptions. Probably gonna have loads of fanservice and occasional flashy fights (CrimsonMonarch is right in comparing it the IS in that regard). I'll let ExtraCareful try it out first.

Did you guys not learn anything when the Busou Shinki: Moon Angel OVAs? This shit...just no. And the plot background makes even less sense; the guy comes back from America (I'm going to assume abroad means America with Japanese anime because they all speak English when they come back) with these figures? I expect one of them to turn into Wolverine halfway through episode one.

Btooom! (10/4/12)

Photobucket

Another "trapped in a game" scenario hm? Wake me up for the winter season.

Why have we had 3 of this in the past year?  Why have I not watched any of them yet? Why do I keep asking questions? Saving up SAO to watch all in one go once it ends, not gonna watch this till after that.

These virtual reality/online world series are nothing more than an excuse for authors to mix up shitty fantasy with paragraphs about how windows pop up and the GUI zoomed across as if the protagonists were dicking around with an iPad all the damn time. For your information, the best menu UIs are the least distracting. Sword Art Online was cool the first time through, then it became exponentially more shitty. Like, O(exp{exp{x}}) shitty. It handled the possibilities that could happen through human ingenuity with regards to both outside and inside the game with such lackluster, boring bullshit that I was appalled. You can have a virtual world that contains legit AI, handles perception/senses, and can manipulate memories...but you can't find a criminal connected to the same game? Not even an IP search? Is the entire cybersecurity department too busy jacking off while playing the game?

takes a deep breath

Fuck these series.


Photobucket


-On!!  The descriptions I'm finding of this are oh-so-very-detailed.

Original anime that looks like it has good production values. Will take a look.

It might end up pretty good, like UN-GO. Let's give it a try.

To Love-Ru Darkness (10/5/12)

Photobucket

Everyone needs more taiyaki girl. Who wants some more sexless H?

Read mango, no point in watching animu. Like I always say, long running shounen series ought to be read. It's good stuff though; if anime is your thing, go for it.

One of my Christmas wishes from last year...it has been granted.

I...ugh...my body...it's not ready...

It's just too good...Yabuki Kentarou's To Love-Ru girls...animated for a third season? asdfjkl;


Photobucket

Good news: Silver Link (Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, Kokoro Connect) is animating this.
Bad news: Suzuki Daisuke, the author of the terribly anticlimatic and nondescript Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun is the same writer for this light novel.

Unfortunately it's an imouto series, so we're gonna end up watching it aren't we. 

Anything with the word "onii-chan" or "imouto" is something I have to at least try one episode of. It looks like something that will have no real plot whatsoever, so I guess I'll try it for the fanservice. And perhaps drop after one episode like I did Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!

These imouto shows are the best.

Do you guys have any idea how slowly I am putting my face into my palms right now...?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (10/5/12)

Photobucket


MUDADA. ZA WARUDO. WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. May try just for that meme.

Would rather read this mango and probably would have if it WEREN'T SUPER LONG.

Bahahaha, it seems silly. I should really read it sometime. Fans of the manga will probably like it a lot.


Photobucket

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh sexy lady  wait, there are no sexy ladies.

Will eventually read this mango, it's from the author of Samurai Deeper Kyo if anyone liked that.

Mmm...doesn't seem like anything special though. Yay, government mandate to be badass + flame on. Exciting.


Photobucket

Enough.

Will eventually read this mango, it's from the author/artist of Death Note if anyone liked that.

If season four is about how they end up selling PSP games and associated merchandise and figurines, I will do a marathon of this series.

Little Busters! (10/6/12)

Photobucket

More Key studios. Whee. More huge eyed girls to ogle at. Vndb says that both this and Clannad are "very long" (50+ hours), so I'm wondering if they're considering making a 2nd season of this like they did for Clannad. If Clannad is a good predictor to use, the soundtrack for this should be good as well (recycling OP/EDs works too). The graphics from the PV also seem pretty good.
...Well, looks like I have high expectations for this. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Oh, random Q for everyone. Who's your favorite girl? Huehuehuehuehue. I think the cat and the dog are promising.

Every Key anime has been exceptional, with the exception of Air. Watching this is a no-brainer.

Key studio is one of the only studios to keep having romantic, good VNs while still having an "all-ages" edition and an "18+" edition. Keeping it classy, Key. I really want to play 18+ edition though, may go through the translated "all-ages" if I have time. Anyways, I agree with MorningLescue above. As much as the whole slice-of-life + shiny supernatural fuzzy light schtick may be overused by Key, they have been able to infuse series with a warmth that is lacking in a lot of modern series. And Little Busters, hopefully, will be the same.


Photobucket

Shoujo. Fetch, ExtraCareful.

Fuck you. It does seem like a shoujo form of Kimikiss though...fight it, ExtraCareful! Fight the urge to watch this series!

If there is one thing I've learned, shoujo is not my thing.

Haitai Nanafa (10/6/12)

Photobucket

The illustrator for this series also drew for Moetan. Interesting...at least the graphics will be up to par. The story about spirits appearing + 3-girl family slice-of-life doesn't seem really interesting though...more like Tamayura plus...well...spirits.

Do I see lolis? Yes I do.

Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic (10/7/12)

Photobucket

Manga is cool. It has a nice plot and characters. You can't but help love it after a while. 

I think I tend to read rather than watch action-y series. What a type-B.

Mmm I really want to read this series for the upcoming anime now. This and the other 'exotic' series, Reimei Arcana, has been on my mind for quite some time now. Even if I can't, you guys should give it a try.

Ixion Saga DT (10/7/12)

Photobucket

Looks interesting. Everyone loves a scantily clad green hair maid (cough C.C cough). It has a MAR type setting so who knows, might be kickass.  

Love fantasy, will look into this.

I should watch ZnT.

It seems really plain and bad. Even Hagure Yuusha no Estetica from last season was slightly more creative than this, and  Hagure was itself a bad imitation of Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou. Hope the others can watch it and give me positive feedback, because I'm not touching it for the time being.


Photobucket

WOW, THIS ISN'T LIKE SOFTENNI + THE STANDARD 4-GIRL SOL SERIES AT ALL

This smells like Ro-Kyu-Bu. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on what you thought of the series.

Oshiri Kajiri Mushi (10/7/12)

Photobucket

Oshiri Kajiri Mushi is...well...it's...
...my face...my palm...the pain...oh God...why, Japan...

Rather than reading our reactions to this, why don't you go read something slightly less predictable? 

Cross Fight B-Daman eS (10/7/12)

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (10/8/12)

Photobucket

This. I might watch it for the sole reason that I'm in college right now and I really miss my cat. We'll see exactly how well character development goes (the summary says this explores their "mental growth").

Looks like kawaii shit, will watch.

"As he starts to get used to the life in the dorm, Mashiro Shiina, a world famous artist who cannot even take care of her daily life, moves in. Sorata is forced to become Mashiro's handler. The story is about their daily life as well as mental growth." - Wikipedia article on this series

FUUUUUUCKKKKK ANOTHER DERPA WANNABE IN THE SAME SEASON?

I CAN'T HANDLE THIS MUCH DERP AT A TIME

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE 






But I'm gonna end up watching it anyways ;______;


Photobucket

Because Strike Witches wasn't nearly enough. Also, I'm pretty sure that operating tanks is not a martial art, or even a form of self-defense...unless you like overkill.

I would troll this more, but I need to save up for my First Impressions post. Besides...Joshiraku is already one step ahead of me.

So, due to the popularity of the "girls with guns" genre, it seems that Japan has elected to upgrade the system to "girls with tanks." PANZER 4, FIRE.

This. I don't even. Why? It's like insulting military otakus unless these girls are badasses at operating a tank. GG SIEGE TANK OP! 

Aikatsu! (10/8/12)

Photobucket

Sunrise is animating this series. I...I think I'm going to cry.

^Agreed. 

I think the idol wave has continued long enough. Please stop.

Jormungand Perfect Order [Season 2] (10/9/12)

Photobucket

Looks like action. I need moe.

S1 was hella good, continue.

I'd trust MorningLescue's sense for the most part on this one. I want to read the manga too...

Medaka Box Abnormal [Season 2] (10/10/12)

Photobucket

Season two is here, after the mediocre debacle that was the first. This had better wrap up the Flask Plan with aplomb. Gainax...I will not tolerate any more failures.

That Shiranui looks delectable.

Psycho-Pass (10/11/12)

Photobucket

The guy in the back reminds me of Tsuno from Katekyo Hitman Reborn. I hated Tsuna.

KHR character designs, looks cool.

See Equilibrium.

Robotics;Notes (10/11/12)

Photobucket

They all look so surprised to see her.

Takes place in Steins;Gate world? Watching this.


NotMoe and I had a discussion on this...just like all of the 5pb. + Nitroplus VN series (Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate and StopUsing;Semicolons), Robotics;Notes is going to be very hit-or-miss.

Seitokai no Ichizon - Hekiyoh Gakuen Seitokai Gijiroku [Season 2] (10/13/12)

Photobucket

A new season is good and all...but don't do a complete fucking rehaul of half the staff...God, if the new VAs don't sound similar and/or are not up to par, I will rage so hard. Why would you fix what's not broken? Jesus...

^This 

I'll start with season 1 first.

Good.

Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de (10/20/12)

Photobucket

Too good.

Wat.

Mind Blown 

I feel like I will be disappointed, but this looks so good.

Dangerous Jii-san Ja (10/20/12)

Photobucket

Uh....ok...

Let's see how Hyadain does with the music for this.

Litchi DE Hikari Club (October 2012) <--- 'Horror yaoi'. OK bro, OK.

Hiiro no Kakera Dai-ni-Shou [Season 2] (October 2012) <--- I'm sorry, but we don't serve your reverse-harem kind here. Barajou no Kiss is my absolute limit for these kinds of things.

^Agreed.

-----------------------------

This past summer season was an interesting mixed bag. Accel World and Sword Art Online (essentially Accel World's prequel) was more or less meh and terribly overhyped (AkibaTV, why are you even asking if there's going to be a second season? So dumb...OF COURSE there's going to be a second season...bitches love ogling over Kuroyukihime.) Yes, I am being a hipster. Let me reiterate: Sword Art Online and Accel World are mediocre series that do not deserve the hype it receives. But thankfully, the rest of the series were a relatively nice massage to slowly soothe my frustration, with a few series sticking out for me. Campione! had excellent pacing, NakaImo and Oda Nobuna no Yabou were good enough throughout so as to not undermine the fanservice, Yuruyuri S2 gave me plenty of laughs, and Rinne no Lagrange/Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon S2s really ramped it up and delivered. 

My praises, however, go to Hyouka, Kokoro Connect, and Joshiraku - for providing me with the tense drama, the realistic and cool characters, and the hilarity for when I was being depressed over the latest Dog Days S2 episode. Thanks for a decent season.

In the meantime, I ended up watching series that aired 2+ seasons ago (how're you doing Baka to Test S2?). I'm so up to date. I will do my best to keep up with Little Busters! and HnG this time though.

Ahh, summer was good. It seems like everyone liked SAO and Kokoro Connect the most, and that's exactly why I haven't watched them yet. Gotta save up all those episodes so I can binge, haven't had a good binge in forever. Even barring those two, the rest of the shows were amusing enough. Dog Days', NakaImo, Hagure Yuusha, Yuru Yuri S2, Binbougami ga!, and Campione! were all good. Tari Tari was less fascinating. Dakara was easily the worst shit I've seen in a while (that's why I'm still on ep 4). 




No comments:

Post a Comment