Saturday, September 29, 2012

Conclusion: Campione!

Fanservice into fanservice. Just the way I like it.

Photobucket
Yes. Draw your long golden sword to drive away the enemy.

Regardless of how I end up grading harem series, I really must congratulate Diomedea for pulling off the adaptation with aplomb. I'd say that nowadays, with the gap between the 5-10 volume LN/VN originals and the 12-episode anime adaptations growing ever larger, this sort of pacing is exactly what we needed for a modern series. So good work, good work.

As I think I mentioned before in my Halfway Point post, the proportions in the anime are noticeably slimmer than those in the light novel. However, besides that, most everything was relatively well done - the fluidity of the animations were good and the graphics were still fine to the extent that I wasn't hating on the fanservice. 

As for the audio part of the production values, although the OP/ED was nothing to really note and the soundtrack was just spamming music production company movie trailer music, I'd like to point out how the VAs really fit their role (esp. Hikasa Youko as the main heroine, Erica Blandelli) well. This should be a given, but with some series there are times where the gap between the character and the voice gets...annoying at times. Also, I really like Ogura Yui's voice - it's a very distinct, legitimately childish voice (well, she IS 17...) that has potential to be huge in the VA market (just listen to the Kiss x Sis theme songs). Although she didn't have many roles before, her lead role as Alice in Kamisama no Memochou, in addition to her debut in idol group StylipS (High School DxD ED, Saki: Achiga-hen OP) in combo with a few supporting roles in relatively popular series a few seasons back (e.g.: Saki: Achiga-hen, the Oreimo OVAs) let people know what her voice was really like. And now she's just exploding onto the scene, voicing Athena in Campione!, Houshou Yuzurina in NakaImo, and Takenaka Hanbei in Oda Nobuna no Yabou in this season alone. I hope I'm not being a bandwaggoner, but she is already in my top 10 (if not top 5) list of my favorite female seiyuu, and I only wish her the best of luck as she makes an even bigger name for herself in the future.

In retrospect, I should have just named this post "Conclusion: The Series That I Reviewed Just So I Could Rave About Ogura Yui's Voice".

Photobucket
Never tells girl to kiss protagonist

Gets girl to kiss protagonist in the end

Not sure if the most passive-aggressive act of the season or best mindgame ever

But yea, the plot for Campione! is just one boss fight after another with absolutely nothing in between except fanservice. This definitely helped the series go through arcs so quickly, but the handling of the boss fights and the dialogue so that each story fit between 2-3 episodes was no mean feat (although the last arc did cut off way too much to be comfortable with regards to the last member of the main harem). Other studios should really follow this example if they want to just roll off a one-time series or at least garner heavy interest in the LN original, with sequels to come. It sets the series adaptations up for a lot of opportunities in the future and just a generally better way than stupid panning and fillers and seven-episode arcs with the last five episodes being a limping failure of a second half.

Not to sound repetitive, but do you just watch/read series for the boss fights and fanservice? Then this series is for you. However, with regards to those two, I should say that this is a relatively solid series. Nothing more to say. 

Recommendation: See above.

Photobucket Photobucket
The only logical progression.

1 comment: