Thursday, September 27, 2012

Conclusion: Yuruyuri♪♪

And so the epic saga ends.

Please, give one final "A-karinnn!" for this delightful series.

Photobucket
Akarinn-whoah there.

It seems like just yesterday when Yuruyuri first came out on TV. My appropriate reaction (and appropriate it was at the time) was, what the shit...? I mean, random girls with twintail missiles and an OP that sounded like it came straight from Xebec (but better)? Completely round blobs for faces that seemingly heralded the full conquest of the 'moe blob' trend that's killing anime or whatever the K-On! bandwagon haters like to go on about? What was going on?

And then, slowly but surely, I got...used to it and started enjoying the series instead. I got used to Kyouko's ballerness and complete lack of balance in her schedule (by lack of balance I mean just reading manga errday). I got used to Yui's tsukkomi tricks. I got used to Chinatsu's obsession with Yui. I got used to Akari's lack of presence. It was settling into a pace that was essentially just like any other slice-of-life with 4+ girls.

Yet...it never really got old.

Photobucket
OH SHIT NOT THE BUN MISSILES

Perhaps it was the pacing and the succinctness. Perhaps it was how non sequitur, and how varied the transitions were. Either way, the interactions between the characters made me laugh time and time again. They were so random, and what's more, they were derpy as hell and proud of it. Yuruyuri didn't give a shit about how stupid the subject was or how awkward the situation was - it powered through it with aplomb anyways. You knew what was probably going to end up happening anyways (e.g.: Akari disappears), but you were powerless to stop it - and that's what made it so good in a sense.

It was wacky, it was zany, it was crazy, it was hyper (even the OP/EDs showed it), and it gave me much-needed relief at times when there was simply too much reality for me to handle. Because as chaotic as it was, it was simple on the inside - have weird characters and throw them together in a single room. And that sort of flow-by-character-interaction was just what I wanted.

And season two only continued the fun.

For all the good times - thanks, Yuruyuri. Be seein' you soon.

Photobucket
It's unbelievable just how that bread got sucked into her mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment