Tuesday, December 6, 2011

ExtraCareful's Soundtrack Pick of the Week

More. I need to post more. But in lieu of my lack of posting diligence, I present to you this song:

Kawaru Mirai (Kami-sama no Memo-chou OP)
Choucho

What people expected from this series: another Gosick
What people actually got from this series: a half-decent show unlike Gosick

A lot of people (read: EVERYONE) thought that after Gosick, this would be just another stupid faux-romantic mystery Dan Brown-style shounen series with smooth graphics. However, some kind-hearted friends of mine kept watching it and eventually piqued interest in me. Whatever could lead people to watch this load of crap? Well, in addition to the plot, the characters, and the mood, this music also helps a lot to create what is a series definitely worth watching later on.

Sure, the beginning is pretty standard piano solo stuff. Why would I pick this for a Soundtrack Pick? Well, first the piano solo stuff is done well and NOT dragged out (key). Secondly, and the saving grace of this song, is that from 0:46~1:29, the weirdest intervals are used to create a strangely satisfying melody. What do I mean by that? I mean that this song won't sound like the other OPs you always hear banging out the same harmonies every second of every episode (lol @ you Mayo Chiki). I've gone through that part mentioned above, and the melodies seem to resolve themselves on the weirdest places apart from the starting note (like a half-step above [which is usually very dissonant] or something equally weird). Try this melody out - you won't regret it, and it definitely deserve sto be on my Soundtrack Pick of the Week!

The ED (Asunaro by Kenichi Suzumura) for this series is also ok, I guess, but it falls into the pitfall of being merely average. Sorry, but that ain't gonna cut it. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment