Wednesday, November 2, 2011

ExtraCareful's Soundtrack Pick of the Week

All right, I have a really good pick this week. The anime seems slightly shallow, but man oh man is Nana Mizuki as impressive as ever. Here goes!

Scarlet Knight (Dog Days OP)
Nana Mizuki

Dat vocal range

Both the repertoire and singing ability of Nana Mizuki is slightly ridiculous; I'd like for you to go down that list in the link and see if you can tell me that you have not heard of any of these big-hitters. Despite this, when I took a look at the synopsis and cast of the anime Dog Days, I thought it was merely a hastily-done version of Zero no Tsukaima with stupidly large large amounts of money to reel in the voice actors (Mizuki, Horie, Taketatsu, Miyano, Hikasa, Hanazawa and Wakamoto in one set? Jesus...) I think I might watch the series sometime when I have the chance, but at least this OP is really just excellent.

Nana Mizuki's range and what's more, flexibility really shows in this OP. Scarlet Knight is a perfect medium for her to shine since it does all these weird key changes, keeping the "Japanese anime song" feel while also making it more swing-y with the rhythm. The song also seems to differ slightly because it plays an entire phrase in one key (say a minor key) with minor chords and progressions, but then the entire NEXT phrase is a major key. Stuff like this is really great and shows creativity and effort with making the music. It also goes relatively soft on the synth and focuses on Mizuki's voice, which is an added bonus because I don't get sick of it after playing it about a grand total of three times. If I had to name a parallel for this, the closest thing to this OP would probably be Paradise Lost (Minori Chihara).

Anyways, I'm going to stop myself here and just let you settle into the music. As always, enjoy!

-----

As a side-recommendation (which actually goes pretty well with this song), why don't you try out Tower of God? Although slow at first, this Korean manhwa is very, very deep and clearly shows the utmost care on the part of the author/artist. Try it - you'll be addicted in no time!

1 comment:

  1. lol, it's like Super Affection. Bring in all dem voice actors.

    ReplyDelete