Thursday, November 10, 2011

First Impressions: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

I don’t normally keep up with currently airing animes, mostly because I can’t seem to balance my time as well as my fellow contributors (the last anime I kept up with was Oreimo). However, I made a rare exception for this series, which I have had high expectations for after reading the light novels. It may have fallen a bit short of my expectations, but that is no reason to avoid watching this. Drum roll please for Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. (WARNING: THIS POST IS IMAGE-HEAVY)

It's actually the one on the far left that doesn't belong. TRAP.

Due to my small repertoire of series, I cannot make statements on how the animating company has or has not lived up to expectations, nor can I compare it to other producers. All I can do is give a general overview. The artwork is pretty smooth and shiny, creating the eyecandy effect that is necessary for most school life/slice-of-life series to be half decent. Animations are well done too, with particular emphasis placed on the flat chests bouncing breasts effect. All in all, it’s very pleasing. One thing that stuck out to me, though, are the lips. They’re…unusually pink. At times, it feels as though everyone in the series except for the male protagonist is wearing lipstick (including the trap).

ExtraCareful: I think they emphasized the lips even more than the artstyle of Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko that this series uses. Really weird decision.

Not even Hideyoshi put on lipstick mang...

Then we come to the soundtrack, which is probably where my major disappointments manifest themselves. The OP is makes an attempt at being different and creative, and I suppose it has succeed slightly in that aspect with its funky beat. But in the end, all the song only really consists of the main female voice actors (Yukimura’s included) in the series belting out lyrics to an energetic beat. It lacks a clear melody, and thus, lacks appeal.

The ED song… is just weird. It seems as though the producers opted for another guitar and style song, but failed in the process. It has even less melody overall than the OP, in both vocals and instrumentals alike. And while on the topic of vocals for this, I will just say right now that I dislike Yozora’s voice. There’s just something about it that plucks at a nerve in my head. Maybe it’s because it sounds so…manly. I mean, it’s more masculine than Yukimura, who’s a guy, damn it.

I’m pretty sure that ExtraCareful is the only contributor who pays close attention to the OSTs, so I will leave the bulk of it to him (if he so chooses to add onto this). Me? I think it’s fairly nondescript. Most of the background “music” (I think the word “noise” is more here) consists of quirky little synthetic noises. Sure, it matches the goofy feel of the series and all but…it’s just plain. If there was any actual music, it failed to make an impression on my mind. But it might just be me being relatively picky (I recently finished the VN Koihime Musou, which has fantastic music, so I’m probably using those as my basis as I write this post).

ExtraCareful: The OP seems like it was very focused on this series, instead of having a vague theme (like, say, see visionS). Unfortunately focusing a song around this series is not the best way to go. The lack of a good melody and instrumental support screws the OP over and the ED is a slice-of-life version of the Dantalian no Shoka ED yes, prisoner...except thankfully without clowns.

And now for the plot.

Is it…

Mecha?

Some things are better left unsaid. Watch the series.

Fantasy/adventure?

Always equip butterfly wings. Or else you'll be attacked by mutant ostriches.

Gender bender?

I'm sorry, but no amount of apologizing will undo the gender swap.

Yuri?

A romantic sunset? I thought it had to be cherry blossoms!

Loli?

Now's when you give up trying to get just one, get a 100% save file, and access the harem ending.

Well, it’s just slice of life really, one of the many flooding the industry as of recent years.

Doesn’t change the fact that it’s hilarious.

The story revolves around a group of individuals who, through their personalities and/or appearances, have no friends at school to speak of (hence the title, “I Don't Have Many Friends”). To try and improve their abysmal social lives, they form the “Neighbor’s Club,” which is dedicated to making friends and doing things that friends do. Such as…

Playing video games,

She's playing Neopets, btw.

Playing video games,


I forsee a School Days ending.

Playing video games,

Even though he's the one speaking the most rationally, he still looks the scariest.

Manipulating 10-year olds,


I can just hear her saying "HAWAWAWA."

Being pimps real men,


No, baaaaaaad role model.

And playing video games.

Well, at least there's no Siegfried here.

In this scenario, it really is the characters that make the story. The unique quirks of each character are what serve to make this series so hilarious. Whether it's the misundestandings caused by Kodaka's delinquent-like appearance or the numerous bitter (yet amusing) fights spurred by Yozora's abrasive attitude and Sena's ojou-sama demeanor, this series always makes me laugh. The pictures should give you an idea of what the show is like; random, spontaneous, and filled with eyecandy. If you're looking for a laugh and pretty girls, this series is for you.

ExtraCareful: Don't get me wrong, I really like this series and I would say the same things about it as BartreTheBeast does. Just be careful, since the plot's pace is very erratic. Furthermore, it is probably going to cut off before it gets to the main development arc for the full harem route. Will there be a season 2? I'd give it less than 50% chance; not because of the appeal of the story, but a disappointing lack of a fan base.


I smell wincest on the horizon.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could go to Japan and manipulate 10 year olds, too.

    Alas

    Review gets doubleplusgood for conciseness and ability to capture spirit of show through clever image placement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the 10 year olds have probably been the best thing about this series. I had high expectations when I was writing this...but it ended up falling horribly short.

    Thanks for the compliment though

    ReplyDelete