Friday, July 6, 2012

Conclusion: Sankarea

Zombie girls are becoming disturbingly more popular in Japanese manga/anime.

Note: I will NOT be doing a Conclusions post for Tsuritama since there's so much other shit going on right now. Sorry. If the other members of the blog crew want to do it, all luck to them and hopefully I will be of assistance.

THIS JUST IN - TO-LOVE RU WILL BE GETTING A THIRD SEASON IN THE FALL OF 2012 IN THE FORM OF ITS SEQUEL, TO-LOVE RU DARKNESS. REJOICE, FOR THE ANIME GODS HAVE BLESSED US.

Photobucket
Actually, except for spring onions, nobody puts anything into miso soup.


Or I kill them. Unless they're trying to put eggs into it. That might be interesting.


Great, now I'm hungry.

Sankarea is probably what people would think of if you mentioned the words "zombie", "romance", and "anime" in a single sentence. However, Sankarea has managed to create a decent enough plot around the obvious flaws of being the undead (that is, going insane, rotting, and needing to eat people). I personally find it  slightly too pushy and tends to ignore the potential of using its entire set of characters, but it's pretty good nevertheless - none of this silly "lol zombies invincible except when they rot b/c of comedy" thing. Zombies decay, they do go insane, and due to the inherently non-erotic aspect of a zombie fucken chewing on you, it creates more tension than, say, Fortune Arterial does with its vampires.

The adaptation, however, leaves something to be desired.

The OP and ED (I don't remember their names; they're not worth mentioning) are nondescript, and so is the rest of the OST. I would compare it to Inu x Boku SS's soundtrack, except Inu x Boku actually has a decent ED sung by Hanazawa Kana (Sweets Parade, I believe it was?) Whatever. I may or may not DL this OST, but if I have to hesitate, I probably won't.

The graphics are pretty shiny and good, expected nothing less from the people who animated the Fate franchise, Kore wa Zombie and Dragon Crisis. The drawings are the nearly the same as they are in the manga, props for that. I thought Mero (the male character's - Chihiro Furuya's - sister) was gonna get owned by the anime artstyle, but good thing they averted a disaster.

Photobucket
Wait, so why isn't Mero smack dab in the middle of Furuya's harem yet? She seems like she could balance out some of the crazy in this shit.

The plot follows the manga nearly to the letter, so nothing to complain about in the anime. However, the pacing is simply awful. It just is. I'm not talking about the sudden "shark zombie attack" ending. I'm talking about the rest of the series. I don't care how short the introduction stories and first arc is. I don't care how hard it is to stuff in the "uh-oh Rea has to fight off her zombie-ness now" in the series without going beyond 12 episodes. If it was, Studio Deen should just have done a 24-episode series. What I don't get is, why are there two episodes just dedicated to the confrontation between Furuya and Rea's dad? Why don't they focus more on the tension between Ranko and Rea? Why does the entire season seem so fucking slow compared to everything else? Jesus, a rotting zombie could outrun the pace this series set. Especially as a person who's read the manga, I'm quite disappointed. This must look like a horrible series to pure anime-watchers, when it's actually not that bad of a read.

Overall, I really have nothing to say about Sankarea, other than the fact that it's just another series that is following the modern trend of doing nothing and got run over by the 12-episode season. Sorry.

Recommendation: Read the manga. If you're a hardcore fan or a obsessive person like me, watch the anime adaptation.

Photobucket
If you watch Sankarea backwards, it's a movie about how a girl stops herself from drinking blood, a father that pulls a rapier out from a boy, and how the said girl goes from lying on the ground peacefully to jumping up upside-down onto a cliff edge just to meet her father.

P.S. I just listened to the beginning of the OP for the second time since I started to watch this series, and I'm 99.99% sure that it's by nano.RIPE. Correct me if I'm retarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment