Thursday, April 5, 2012

Expectations - Spring 2012 Anime

Right, the Spring 2012 Anime are coming up right as the Winter 2012 series end, so we're releasing this pretty early. Let's go! Oh actually - a note: we will not review series that nobody on our blog team will ever want to watch. That means we're not gonna review Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashi Banashi (a series based on Japanese folk tales) no matter how educational it is to children. Sorry. 


EXTRACAREFUL'S EDIT: As the final publisher, I apologize for the delay on this post - usually we would have been given 2 weeks or so to iron this out between the end of the last season and the beginning of the new one, but for some reason the Spring 2012 season started early (as in, right after Winter 2012 ended) so the blog crew did not have as much time to prep. We'll be good next time, we promise!


Colors: 
ExtraCareful 
BartreTheBeast 
LightRook writes in blood 
MorningLescue is purple cause orange can't be seen well


Uchuu Kyoudai (4/1) 
A seinen story of brotherhood and growing up set in space? This could be good. 


Synopsis doesn't give much, might be a good break from all the moe. Or I could keep watching all the moe.


Because astronauts are cool. But really, this seems to have a legitimate plot, so the only points I can bitch about are the production values. 


Saint Seiya Omega (4/1) 
I would rather read Saint Seiya than watch an adaptation cause it's a shonen jump manga.


Isn't this like...Dragon Ball Z...with helmets...? 


Shiba Inuko-san (4/1) 


Zetman (4/2) 
The concept is overdone, but this one looks like it'll have actual plot. We'll have to wait and see. 


Would rather read long-running manga than watch their adaptations but probably not going to do either.


I have to agree with MorningLescue on this one...as much as it makes me feel guilty, I'll have to throw this one to NotMoe and LightRook...


Yurumates 3D (4/2) 
nope. 


Why does this exist? 


If this doesn't involve 3D glasses in some manner I will be very disappointed.


Queen's Blade: Rebellion (4/3) 
Queen's Blade exists to prove that you can indeed make an anime out of nothing but boobs. I'm not going to watch something based on fanservice alone. 


I hear very bad things about this. 


Seems legit.


Gakkatsu! (4/3) 
HAH! nope. 


No synopsis, wtf is this 


As a debater, I should be interested. As a sane person, I should be dissuaded from watching this.


Medaka Box (4/4) 
For the last time, read Shonen Jump mangas at least before watching the adaptations.



Isn't this a relatively popular manga series? Although...so is Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai...


For some reason the MAL profile picture seems to suggest a hybrid between the graphics of Xebec Studios (of To Love-Ru and MM! fame) and the plot of Seitokai Yakuindomo


shudder


Arashi no Yoru ni: Himitsu no Tomodachi (4/4) 
I guess I should watch the movie for this or something since people tout it as a classic...But the only thing going through my head as I look at the picture is "Pixar".


Seems stupid. 


Children's books OP 


Kuromajyo-san ga Touru!! (4/4) 
lol. Could be cute. 


Children's books OP 


I'm giving this one episode...


Lupin III ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna~ (4/4) 
Another Lupin?


Natsuiro Kiseki (4/5) 
I don't think I'm going to watch any more SOL anime. They're usually too slow for me. 


Seiyuus are interesting sorta. Will give it a try. 


The slice-of-life spirits tell me that this will pretend to embody the mood of K-On! without the instruments but end up having the pace of Tamayura ~Hitotose~. If there is a God out there, please let the first part be true and the second part false...please.


Sengoku Collection (4/5) 
"Social networking service game" - seems suspicious. Please don't do a bad knockoff of Koihime Musou but with Japanese history. But watching b/c god I can't resist the graphics + potential good fanservice.


Branching off of EC's opinions; If this has Chousen in it, I will watch it. 


Looks like utter crap. But it's from Brains Base, the people who produced Durarara and Baccano, so I'm not going to risk missing it. 


Seems very strange/uninteresting. 


Shirokuma CafĂ© (4/5) 
This is the obligatory josei series of the season. :) gl hf NotMoe :3333 


Wtf is this 


Accel World (4/6) 
This manga is a rebel. Why? Because it has a fat and short protagonist. Shit, I mean I didn't know good guys could be fat and short. But seriously, it's a decent series but not a lot of it has been translated yet, so take my word with a grain of salt. 


Fucking hacker/otaku stereotypes.... Looks like it's the bad parts of TTGL in .hack 


I've never seen a short AND fat protagonist. Not a big fan of ".hack" fighting in virtual world thing. 


Kuroko no Basuke (4/7) 
I WANT RO-KYU-BU! sniffle 


If I want basketball, I can read Slam Dunk or watch Ro Kyu Bu like a lolicon. NTY. 


I've actually heard decent things about this manga, so I'm sure it's better than Ro-Kyu-Bu. Disregard these lolicons above me. However, once again, it is a shonen jump manga, so I would rather read that than watch it.


Nazo no Kanojo X [Mysterious Girlfriend X] (4/7) 
Winner of this season's "Most retarded synopsis" award. 


Oh THIS series. I started the read the manga once...


...and then stopped shortly afterwards. Kinda...weird. Sort of like NHK-style weird.

Ginga e Kickoff!! (4/7) 
"Boy tries to revive his soccer team after encounter with female pro player". facepalm 


Gonna pass this up cause not worth trying. 


Pretty Rhythm Dear My Future (4/7) 
This is my response (especially after learning of a KPop Korean rival group suspiciously named after T-ara):
Photobucket



Baku Tech! Bakugan (4/7) 


Jewelpet Kira☆Deco—! (4/7) 
The only reason I didn't strike this was to complain about the lack of a Neopets anime. J.C. Staff, make it so.  


Why does this have 4 seasons... 


Fate/Zero S2 (4/7) 
I REALLY need to watch the series. 


Too good, it's a must-watch. 


Comparing this to the other series of Spring 2012 is quite unfair...seeing as how the Fate franchise is just such a juggernaut.


Cardfight!! Vanguard: Asia Circuit Hen (4/8) 


Saki Achiga-hen episode of side-A (4/8) 
I don't care what any of you guys say. It's Saki season 2. Your arguments are invalid. 


Would watch if it had another OP by Little Non. But seeing as they disbanded a while back...will be a while before I start this series. 


I was expecting an ACTUAL season two, but this looks like some spinoff from another school. Does this mean there will be no more tacos??? 


Tasogare Otome×Amnesia [Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] (4/8) 
Very good series - watch it guys plz. Unfortunately, I myself am conflicted as to whether to watch this - it's the same case as it was with Inu x Boku SS; the manga series is far enough so that watching the same shit in the anime is tiring, but the voices and animation do add some flair... 


Looks comparatively interesting, gonna watch. 


Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle S2 (4/8) 


Jormungand (4/10)
Looks cool. 


Seems decent enough. 


Seems decent, but not really good enough to watch. I may get into it if the rest of the blog crew raves about it like they did with Nichijou.


Eureka Seven: AO (4/12) 
Against general opinion, I still contend that Eureka Seven sucked the dick - it was one of the few shows I dropped. 


On one hand, it's mecha.


...on the other hand, it's mecha.


What's wrong with a little bit of 19th/20th century, like Sakura Wars, or steampunk, like Valkyria Chronicles? Or even well-done cyberpunk...What's with this robots-in-everyday-Japan fetish that every director seems to have...?


Tsuritama (4/12) 
Original anime with aliens, Indians, and fishing. Might give it a go after hearing first impressions of it.


Oh man, crazy background into creative series? Thank God for that.


Idolmaster: Xenoglossia AKB0048 (April) 
sigh.... 


the Fuck.... 


Sankarea (April) 
Actually looking forward to this...But for the love of God, please don't let it degrade into slapstick comedy. Zombie-theme series are too frequently subjected to that, with the sole exception of Kaibutsu Oujo, and that's only b/c the main zombie protagonist is a shiny (read: lightbulb) zombie that gets sidelined by all the other overpowered monster characters in the cast. 


I'll watch. 


Is interesting, looks good. 


Haiyore! Nyaruko-san (April) 
A slice-of-life about an anthropomorphic deity from the Cthulhu Mythos (specifically, Nyarlathotep). nbd. As an avid reader of Lovecraft, I will take one for the team and watch this flash-animation-turned-anime-series.


Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead (April) 
fist pump 


no, fuck no. please no. PLEASE NO. WHY?!?!? 


Season one was not bad, not good. I assume this will be better than the majority of this spring season though.  


Hyou-ka: You can't escape (April) 
Kyo-Ani with the seiyuus we all love doing a mystery story? I'm in. 


Oh look, another horror series. I hope this is just as funny as Another was.


Acchi Kocchi (April) 
Surprisingly the only 4-koma if I'm not mistaken. Don't know if it'll be good though... 


Obligatory "d'awww" series. Let's hope it doesn't turn out as shitty as Recorder to Randoseru did and goes instead in the way of Hiyokoi or sommat.


Shining Hearts -Shiawase no Pan- (April) 
I think fantasy may be my favorite genre. Then again, it's titled "bread of happiness" if I've picked up any of this language from watching anime. But I do like pirates, just not bodacious space ones... gonna watch it.


I'm a sucker for good graphics + Western feudal settings + romance-fantasy. The game itself doesn't seem too bad, and many RPG-hybrid romance simulation games are pretty thoroughly made (because the rigorous process of RPG-making transfers onto the romance game-making or something I guess) so...Sorry guys, gonna watch this. Not to be repetitive, but this has the slightest hint of Valkyria Chronicles and Ar Tonelico in it...


Hiiro no Kakera (April) 


Kimi to Boku. 2 (April) 
Here we go again...for some reason, the girls seem to like this series a lot. 


Haven't watched S1, heard some decent things about it though. 


Sakamichi no Apollon (April) 
Apparently the director and composer for Cowboy Bebop is reuniting for Apollon. Seems interesting...I might watch it after it completes and if rave reviews come out.



Kikansha Thomas [Thomas the Tank Engine] (April)
LOL. LOL. Maybe if I were 5...


Children's shows OP

-----

As time goes on, there just simply seems to be less quality and more quantity. Sigh all we can do is hope I guess...
As for the last season, thumbs up to Nisemonogatari for showing everybody what true fanservice is.

One last note: I stopped watching Danshi, PapaKiki, High School DxD, Black Rock Shooter, and High School DxD significantly before the ending (anywhere from the 3rd episode to the 6th/7th), so the most you may get for the Conclusion posts for these series may be a cursory condemnation. Sorry. That's how it is. 


I will not review Black Rock Shooter. It sucks. 


Any series that I did not mention/praise above also pretty much sucked (with Rinne no Lagrange and Guilty Crown second half barely getting a passing grade) but I finished them, so that's that.

Yes, Nisemonogatari was great. As a more forgiving anime viewer than ExtraCareful, I thoroughly enjoyed Another, PapaKiki, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, none of which I was really expecting to be as good as they were. Also, Shana from Autumn 2011 was better than its previous seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment