Sunday, December 22, 2013

Expectations: Winter 2013 Anime

It's that time of the year again...

We'll have Christmas/awards posts this year too - don't worry. Will see if we can release an introspective post before then also - stay tuned!

Imgur
Signs of an effective family therapy session

ExtraCareful: Let's be quite honest - in terms of plot, Kyoukai no Kanata and Golden Time (and even Golden Time had some trouble with keeping the pace up) carried the Fall 2013 season quite hard. Every other major series was pretty fanservice-y, from Monogatari S2 to NouKome and Yuushibu. Slightly disappointed by Magi S2 and Log Horizon, however - I was hoping they'd be able to at least spark a bit more interest in me. I have not yet seen Samurai Flamenco, Kill La Kill, Nagi no Asakura, or Coppelion, but reviews seem mixed for all of them. I don't expect TOO much from the next season, but I want at least a variety of series to consistently entertain me instead of falling out after three episodes. please?

OboeOtaku: EC may have been disappointed by the last season, but I personally thought it was the best season we've had in a long time (which may indicate exactly how shitty past seasons of late have been). Kyoukai no Kanata was a piece of gold that restored once more my faith in the KyoAni gods. NouCome, despite having a shitty ending, was immensely amusing for the first 9 episodes, with over-the-top gags that made me wake up sleeping roommates. Nagi no Asukara feels slightly...melodramatic I guess? But it's a very nice watch regardless. I really enjoyed how they made evident the love polygons from the get go, and there's some nice little character development as the show progresses (kids grow up so quickly nowadays don't they?). And of course, the graphics were amazing. Kudos to you P.A. Works.

Three series that I actually really enjoyed and looked forward to week after week? I think this is a record.

In the other news...I have yet to finish Kyousogiga because I prefer AnimeKoi subs over Commie and because it kinda grew stale because of the 60 billion flashbacks and the subsequent lack of #1 girl Koto, but I still have reasonably high expectations for the 5 episodes I have yet to watch. The animations are...interesting. And the OP is probably my favorite of the season. Yuushibu felt like Hataraku Maou-sama except with more magic, worse girls, worse humor, more tits (yes, really), and worse subbing groups. That is to say, it was thoroughly mediocre.

Kill la Kill is a series that I still keep up with, but I'm pretty sure I'm only doing it as a tribute to TTGL. This series actually annoys me the most out of anything else this season because it feels as though half the people I talk to are sucking its cock because they equate it to be as good as TTGL despite it not being nearly as good. Maybe something really fucking crazy or epic will happen later, but that still doesn't explain why so many people seem to be dickriding it. As far as I'm concerned, it is a mediocre series at best as of now.

Infinite Stratos II, Meganebu, and Walkure Romanze were all dropped within the first 5 minutes of the first ep. IS because Ichika hurts my head, Meganebu because gay, and Walkure Romanze because I don't ship bestiality. I know that's not what the series is about, but w/e, seems bad anyways.

On a final note, I find it funny how people keep talking about a Golden Time anime, when there was obviously isn't one in existence. Probably the same people spouting nonsense about how Tsukihime and Little Busters! had anime adaptations done by JC Staff.

RightToLeft: I thought this season was above average, but not really too amazing.  I really only looked forward to Monogatari S2, Kuroko no Basket, Golden Time, and Strike the Blood.  Next season sounds terrible.

The Good:
Monogatari S2 is here, because I would like it no matter what happened.
Kuroko no Basket: Winter Cup covers some pretty intense games with decent character development.
Golden Time is up here, because it was a not so bad romance story, but it probably could have done better.

The Meh:
Strike the Blood was pretty much just pure action out of nowhere, but it was still worth the watch for me.
Kill La Kill was the derp Gurren Lagann with more boobs.  Basically, turn off your brain awesome.
Nagi no Asukara was OK for what it was, but middle school romance is just a turnoff.  It was cute...
Unbreakable Machine-Doll was again another action power-packed show, but I don't think it could really compete with many bigger names.
Kyoukai no Kanata was really good if you just go along with what happened, but it didn't really make much sense or was "complex."

The Bad:
NouKome was just funny, but I never really saw anything substantial.  Pretty much built on fanservice. It is what it is.
Yuushibu is in the same category of NouKome.
IS2 had 10 minutes of plot.  I honestly have no idea why I watched it.  

Currently on hold:
Little Busters is here just for a bit.  BlazBlue watched 3 episodes didn't understand, so you should play the game. Coppelion has really good backgrounds, but the pale characters with dark outlines is the biggest turnoff.

-----

So, without further ado, here are the expected series for Winter 2013!

Pupipou! (12/20) 

One of those series that I saw on batoto but didn't actually favorite. Lolis, but they don't look tasty enough

I feel like this will be a decent innocent slice-of-life, but I have some doubts about how far it can go.

I have a feeling this is going to be really strange, and I will slowly come to hate it given time.

Neppu Kairiku Bushi Road (12/31)

Mecha's not really my thing. I also haven't seen enough to give a good enough prediction on this. See, this is where we need CrimsonMonarch. Come the fuck back yo.

Well...I'm going to give it a chance. I feel like I'm just too distanced from mechas because of a whim and to dispel that, I'll just try some and see if they can give me some unique themes and interactions.

It reminds me of one of the rejected ideas in Bakuman.  Generic plot of finding some secret weapon to do something.

Robot Girls Z (1/4)

No screw this.

lol

What...

Seitokai Yakuindomo* [Season 2] (1/4)

Another season full of bananas, chastity belts, and rapist deers. I'm in.

Hmm, SYD season 1 was a nice watch the first time, but I'm not sure how many sex-related banana jokes I can take before they start eating into my soul.

Didn't watch the first season, so no comment.

Space Dandy (1/5)

Spiritual successor to a well known, popular, critically acclaimed series. Which means that it's probably not going to be nearly as good. I'll try an ep or two. Should probably watch Bebop someday lols.

Spiritual successors can be pretty hit-or-miss. I'm not entirely too sure about Kill la Kill living up to the likes of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, but I think Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou was a decent followup to the huge monolith that is Gintama. Be aware of this when you watch Space Dandy.

No words can express my first impressions after I read the synopsis.  I think I have watched enough derp.

Noragami (1/5)

Yay, shitty deities. Premise seems decent, but if the character interactions aren't good, I'll probably ditch it.

Agreed with the above. I'm still pretty wary of "girl + shrine deity" series.

We should pray to the homeless guy in the jersey that this is good.

Tonari no Seki-kun (1/5)

I love the manga, I really do. But I have some reservations about this adaptation. They're going to have to work a bit to get the same kind of zany impact that the manga has. Maybe the fact that Shin-Ei animation did Crayon Shin-chan and Doraemon will help but...I dunno man. I guess it could go either way (shoutouts to Ken).

I don't have much experience with this series, so take OboeOtaku's word for it.

I feel like I have seen this type of thing before but don't remember if I liked it.  There may be too many wtf moments for me.

Nobunagun (1/5)

Taiwan? Guess we got some next level original shit here. Not really.

"...when the soul of Oda Nobunaga awakens..." NOPE

I see a tentacle, so no.

Witch Craft Works (1/5)

I thought this was gonna be good. But then I found out it's going to be directed by JC Staff. Which means it's gonna blow. 

Also, main girl's tits are too big. Her design seems a bit chunky overall.

All da haet on J.C. lols. This seems like a pretty popular series though, so check it out.

Well that synopsis didn't really tell me anything, so flip a coin here.  Where are the serious animes?

Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen (1/5)

Falcom's version of Carnival Phantasm. 'Cept it'll probably be worse.

5-minute franchise-based series. Meh.

No comment.

Buddy Complex (1/5)

Nope.

"This begins Aoba's new life as the pilot of the Free Treaty Alliance against the Great Zogiria Republic." lol I dunno about this girl-in-mecha + more mecha stuff. Seems pretty contrived on the fantasy scale. Also the "free treaty" stuff coming from Japan reminds me of the FTA in real life which makes me laugh, because that shit is fucking bad for the likes of Japan.

Got lost halfway through the synopsis.

Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta (1/6)

From personal experience, things about airplanes seem to have been pretty good. Let's try this out. 

I like the more uncommon premise, but I still get tetchy at the knowledge that there's a significant chance at the series being a simpler "villain-to-hero" or "sith-to-jedi" story. Watch with caution, jump off at the first sign of mediocrity.

Sounds corny.  Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz.  I will go on a journey and find new friends that will teach me what I wanted was with me all along.  

D-Fragments (D-Frag!) (1/6)

Manga is hilarious, and judging from the PV, Brainbase has got the graphics down pat. Look forward to this one.

This and Fujimura-kun are rampant deadpan into manzai comedies in school-life settings that I find to be pretty enjoyable (also comes with bonus character development). Try it out, probably will be one of the better series of the season.

Sounds like a good laugh or two in the mix.  Worth a watch.

Hamatora (1/7)

Description is honestly too fragmented for me to say anything about this. I do wonder what the opening theme will be like though; Livetune has made some pretty impressive songs, one of my personal favorites being Tell Your World.

From this, I have a strong feeling that it'll simply be a supernatural "detective-based" (NOT mystery) series with an emphasis on cat-and-mouse chases down dark corridors. Watch with trepidation.

I don't know what they want me to think, but hopefully it isn't trying to be over the top.  I'll just let this one ride on the fence. 

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! II [Season 2] (1/8)

After thrilling us all with Kyoukai no Kanata, probably the best series of the last season, KyoAni decides that the best way to carry the hype is to bring back Shit-2-byou for another season. Fuck me.

Oh well. At least the graphics will be good.

I would have liked this series better if it brought in all of the cast a bit more (especially the older sister, other than as an exposition device) and if the second season didn't just involve the part of the light novel original where there's apparently a fake love triangle into more random making out. Chuunibyou is playing a lot of halfsies with characters and plotlines, and I for one don't really like it. Will probably not finish.

Honestly didn't expect there to be a next season.  I'll probably watch, but its most likely going to have a noticeable decline in plot points.  I doubt that this will be any good.  

Oneechan ga Kita (1/8)

Woot SoL fanservice. Never gets old (no I'm lying, it does). The art style seems a little...off. I'll give it a chance though.

One of the major fanservice series of the season I think. Try it out.

Why...  I probably will hate this series.  Are there only a handful of archetypes that people can use?

Pupa (1/9)

Obligatory dark/potentially messed up series of the season. That was actually supposed to air last season herp. I'll try out an ep or two, and see whether or not my brain can handle it.

I'd like to watch this...if it ever airs.

Totally going to force my roommates to watch this with me in the dark.  

Sakura Trick (1/9)

The purest form of love. I'm in.

Eh yuri. Hopefully they can keep it interesting.

Oh god.  pls no.

Hoozuki no Reitetsu (1/9)

Sounds fairly goofy. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Yea the premise is unique but I'm not sure how different the "everyday" aspect of this series will be for the main character that sets this series apart from every other "everyday" series.

I do not plan to watch this.  Sounds kind of dumb to me.

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei (1/9)

Harem romcom slice-of-life with loli imouto thrown into the mix. Letsa goooo~.

There might be a small chance that this doesn't turn into a harem rom-com and much more of an introspective analysis on family/girlfriend interactions. 

Nah, what the fuck am I talking about - that won't sell BDs.

Let's just slap a couple characters in the same room, and then we have a story.

Magical Warfare (1/9)

"Yer a wizard, Harry!"

EC sums it up pretty well.

It is a little known fact that "being a magician" is an STD.

Silver Spoon [Season 2] (1/9)

We've been over this. If you liked season 1, you'll probably stick with this season too.

Same as above.

Agriculture at its finest.  

No-Rin (1/10)

This series has an international student from Texas known as Jane Natalie Hansen. Fucking on my list yo.

Additional reasons to watch include Kana Hanazawa voicing.

Fucking Kana Hanazawa...on topic, this is one of the other major fanservice series of the season, the stereotypical "idol's in my class and she mysteriously gets to like me hohoho" plot. Watch it if you like that sort of thing.

If your criteria for watching an anime is because Kana Hanazawa is a VA, then you are going to watch a lot of shit, because she is in everything.  Hope this is clever enough to warrant a watch.

Wake Up, Girls! (1/10)

Regardless of how interesting or how surprisingly original this may turn out to be, I will forever see it as yet another idolmaster ripoff gg.

I would like the premise more if they could promise me that they'll show more about what it's like for completely random girls to set up as idols and go through all of the shit that they do, instead of some magical iM@S "we practice a lot and perform in shitty areas into STADIUM FULL OF PEOPLE" kind of resolution.

Doesn't seem to hopeful guys.  Nothing really stands out, unless the characters are god.

Nisekoi (1/11)

FUCK YOU SHAFT. I'm not even going to bother with this on this post, this deserves a separate post for all the hate I have towards it. Do not watch unless you want to have your brain rot.

Nisekoi. Well, this was bound to get a series someday. But for Shaft to work on this kind of a pathetic, snail's-pace series (that isn't even made according to what the manga artist really wants to draw)...I dislike it.

I like Nisekoi, until it became filler.  I doubt that anyone can really salvage it.

Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil (1/12)

Well, it seems to have good production values at the very least. I'd give it a shot, premise also seems kinda interesting.

Yea, I'm watching based on the premise. Here's to hoping it'll turn out very well! One of the more unique series of the season.

Not seeing the appeal.

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha (1/15)

Shoujo, but could potentially be worth something. I should probably try out the manga.

Yep, try reading the manga first. It's already got quite a lot of material translated.

Read a couple chapters of the manga.  Ditzy girl with a good heart as the protagonist.  No idea what kind of direction it was taking though.  The comedy is the best you can expect from a shoujo.

Maken-Ki! Two [Season 2] (1/15)

Yea yea, more sexless H. Have fun.

This series (drawn by Kuro no Miki, also a hentai artist) has a pretty meh bunch of fanservice and quite an incoherent plotline. Disappointing.

It's OK as a series, but nothing really amazing.

Saki Zenkoku-hen (Jan 2014)

IT'SSSSSSSSSSSSS HAPPENINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG


Photobucket

I can't even, I don't even - is this a dream? Don't wake me up if this is true.

Season 2 of Mahjonggball Z, baby. Fucking tiles exploding all over the place. It's coming. Let's go.

You know if you're a fan, not that hard to judge whether you'll watch this or not.

I defer.

SoniAni - Super Sonico the Animation (Jan 2014)

Halfway through the season, it's going to be revealed that she's an alien parasite. You heard it from me first.

Fanservice/franchise series (although there's no main male lead for you to put yourself into emotionally). Hits two birds with on stone. Not sure if that'll be enough to make me want to watch this series beyond episode 1.

I have no clue if there is even a plot.

Sailor Moon (2014) (Jan 2014)

Really now...?

Shrugs what can you do? The franchise is strong indeed.

Totally forgot this was a thing.  

Z/X Ignition (Jan 2014)

Looks like shit.

Prepare to something something something heart of the cards.

Yeah, I only thought YUGIOH.

Sekai Seifuku ~ Bouryaku no Zvezda (Jan 2014)

Lolis? Followed.

Despite it's suspect name, the director behind it (made Ao no Exorcist, Darker than Black) shows signs of a promising and unique series with a comedic twist as well as a more serious one.

This might be terrible, but I feel like I'm going to watch it to the end.

Nobunaga the Fool (Jan 2014)

"Jeanne Kaguya D'Arc." 
.
...fuck this lol.

No more "spirit of an ancient warrior" shit please.

k...  What did I just read?

Strange+ (Jan 2014)

5 minute fodder, screw this.

I have no clue what this is about, but it's a 5-minute series so it can't exactly be the most engagingly complex of series.

Detective-> Slice of Life.  I thought people like detective stuff, because of the thrill of the chase.  

Go! Go! 575 (Jan 2014)

From the description, this sounds like a shittified vocaloid. 

I'll TRY watching it, don't think it'll be good though.

I don't understand how this even works.

HappinessCharge PreCure! (Feb 2014)


Just die already.

All the nopes.

Not even gonna look this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment