Sunday, April 24, 2011

Early Reviews - Spring 2011 Anime

Just some first impressions (because one episode of Lotte no Omocha == no clue as to what the anime is even about unless you've read the manga) on some of the current anime so far...
Lotte no Omocha: So I'm betting that a manga that has no idea where it's going + its anime adaption will not end up so well...it's a slightly rare case where the background and characters are pretty good (by that I mean unique...although it could turn out to be pretty deep too) but there is no sense of direction. I mean, episode 3? Maybe you could skip a minor character or two, but to skip 14+ chapters of the manga to, I dunno, set up a quick Asuha/Lotte relationship? What the hell is going on with the adaption? How are they even going to conclude? There is no viable arc/conclusion pathway in this thing, regardless of whether it takes 12 episodes or 25+5 specials and a parody. I'd say the adaption is more fucked in regards to becoming a "good" anime in the sense of the term than Congress after the Tet Offensive.
I mean c'mon guys. If you have time to slave drive the animation studio to make this drivel instead of waiting for some kind of actual depth from the manga, why not just hurry it up with Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu II? At least that has the comedy/love triangle/school life combo that can be milked forever. And Minami's sister is there. Not to mention Hideyoshi.
The kiddy/random humor in Lotte isn't bad, but it can't compare to the hilarity of Baka to Test. I guess if you like seeing little girls go O_____O then you should either watch this anime or get some treatment.
OP/ED is whatever, no clear leitmotif, lots of MIDI/synthesizer fun. The background music during the episodes are pretty good though. Gentle, nice violin wails, goes with the mood, none of this jacked-up drumbeats stuff. Sorta reminds me of Rosario+Vampire.
Graphics make me weep, not because it's bad, but because it's being wasted on an adaption like this. But it's really good >_____>;; Yui Haga, you bastard. Why are you so good at drawing cute stuff...
Why so loli? asdfjkl;
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the manga is too bad. But the way the anime is going, it's going to completely screw over the manga's image - and not just in the normal way where the anime can't cover half the stuff that the manga does so it looks shallow; no, this will make Lotte no Omocha seem like Yui Haga was on crack and wrote a plot while throwing darts at a half-made decision tree. And still drew well enough to suck me in and destroy my brains.
The manga itself is pretty good - if you want to please your eyes and have some feel-good moments, gain some family values (IGNORING THE OBVIOUS), then I suggest reading this manga.
Oh, and Rie Kugimiya - so how many Tsundere loli roles does she have now? I mean...Jeez.
This is what happens when monsters play Spore.
Ao no Exorcist: Yeah this anime is going to suck too. I have nothing to say about this because while the manga looks slightly promising, it hasn't pulled too much out of its ass yet except for the occasional "stick together" sorta thing. I like the development of the supporting cast though. But the manga hasn't done any real breakthroughs or "oh wow" moments so I highly doubt that the anime will either.
I may do a rant on Rie Kugimiya soon. Watch out!
Relatively though, I think this season's anime series are pretty promising batch, although it seems to be going for quantity rather than quality. But that was the trend in the winter too so I dunno. There doesn't seem to be any that really really stand out (early in the race) except for maybe AnoHana. People have been suggesting this to me for quite some time now so I guess I should watch it...I also despise the sudden influx of BAD harem animes this season. Original harem/ecchi are fine. 3rd-rate galge-based ones? Not so fine. Dragon Crisis/Yosuga no Sora is where I draw the line, because the ones below...ugh. Just...no.

No comments:

Post a Comment