Saturday, January 5, 2013

Dear Mother of God - Winter 2013 Anime

What the...what...huh?

I'll try to post when I can, but dear God...51 TV series this upcoming season? Not including OVAs/films/ONAs (and I'm still waiting on the Blu-ray release of Seitokai no Ichizon season 2...)

And I'm waiting on the BDs for Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb and Fate/Zero season 2.

I don't even...

EDIT: It's only 28, but still...jeesh.

That reminds me:
Blue: ExtraCareful
Red: OboeOtaku

I...no. I can't deal with pictures this time. I have links though, so if you can't wait for a few seconds or can't be bothered to Google it, you're probably not going to watch it anyways. 

Boku no Imouto wa "Osaka Okan" - 12/21/12
"Kyousuke has been living apart from his younger sister Namika for ten years. One day, he begins to live with her, but she has turned into an energetic tsundere Osaka girl."

*slow-motion facepalm* guys...I have enough guilty pleasures as it is.




I'll watch it.

Energetic? Tsundere? Osaka girl? I'm sold on this.

EDIT: Actually it's a 5-min series of shorts that are really bad. Don't watch it.

Nekomonogatari (Kuro) - 12/31/12
Shaft's adaptations of the Monogatari series have been somewhat of a mixed bag so far - Bakemonogatari was classic, Nisemono less so but made up for it by the infinitely abusable combo of fanservice and production quality, Shaft-style. Will Nekomonogatari (Kuro) be any better? I'd say the welcome mat for Nekomonogatari based on the successes of Bakemonogatari is wearing thin, so it had better deliver. Not predicting it to fly terribly well, though.

Well, it's Shaft and Monogatari. I have to watch it. They better not pull retarded shits like the 2 episode Tsukihi Pheonix arc in Nisemono. Or, if they do, there had better be another toothbrush scene equivalent. More Shinobu is also good too.

Yama no Susume - 1/2/13
Oh God no, not another 'hobby-based' series. I thought that one manga about riding trains was the weirdest shit I saw, but an anime based around mountaineering/hiking rivals that pretty well. Wait no, there was Ben-To, too...and also Girls und Panzer, if you count 'the art of tank warfare' as a hobby. Sooner or later there's going to be a 'harem dicksucking' club and I will laugh so hard

and then watch it like a fiend

is there a hentai doujin for that somewhere

just wondering

Ahahaha, it's about hiking. And it's serialized in Comic Earth Star. Ha ha ha. Don't kill me.

Also, in response to ExtraCareful, I'm pretty sure there's a hentai doujin for everything. You just have to look hard enough.
^NSFW.

Ai Mai Mi (I My Me) - 1/3/13
4 girls. 1 adaptation. 1 island. 5 guns. 14 pills. 1 way off the island.

I'd watch that shit.

Wtf is this?

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - 1/4/13
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WATCH THIS. IT IS BETTER THAN SPICE AND WOLF.

There are way too many manga adaptations of this - personally I favor the 2nd most serious one because it has the nicer drawings, but I guess the anime adaptation wants to portray a bit more of the seriousness embodied in the first manga adaptation.

But I mean really, if you had to watch any one series this season...this would be it. No joke. I don't give a fuck on how randomly the technological innovations are thrown in, it's still a better try than most of the shit that are thrown out there.

Well, the inclusion of a character known as "Little Sister Maid" does make the series seem enticing. May watch if EC raves about it enough.

Cuticle Detective Inaba - 1/4/13
What the fuck? And I thought Tsuritama was on LSD...

If I end up dropping all the other series I try this season, I might try this one. It looks random and fucked up enough to keep me watching. My logic might end up backfiring horribly though...

Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun - 1/5/13
NOTE: THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TOUHOU THE GAME. That being said, I don't know what this shit is about, but I'll try a few episodes of it. I got lucky with Zetsuen no Tempest and K, so why not?

WRONG KIND OF TOUHOU. DAMN IT.

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru - 1/5/13
One of the most hyped fanservice series of this season? I think so.

OreShura let's goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I need a good series to keep me from feeling depressed after OniiAi ends. Also, I hope that shit has a second season...Jesus that was good.

Looks dericious. 

EDIT: I looked at the preview. The voices are off. Not a good start.

Minami-ke Tadaima - 1/5/13
I like to think of the 'big four' of random humor + slice-of-life background series as Azumanga Daiou, Lucky Star, Nichijou, and Minami-ke. Although the cast is sparse, the humor apparently isn't lacking. However, can it last a fourth season or will it receive the same reception as the new Mirai Nikki: Re-Dial manga sequel that's coming out soon?

I didn't know there was a sequel to Mirai Nikki coming out, but from that analogy, I can get the gist of what EC's saying.

D.C.III ~Da Capo III~ - 1/5/13
I'm as much of a fan of popular VN adaptations as the next guy in line (which reminds me, I hope they do Aiyoku no Eustia or something soon), but...c'mon guys. I don't care if DC3 was released in the summer. Too much Da Capo flying around.

I was able to plow through 3 seasons of Hidamari Sketch in preparation for Honeycomb, but I doubt I'll have the will to do that for this series. Why?

1) Each previous season was 26 damn episodes. Too much time involved.
2) I don't see as many references to this in the medleys I listen to, so I'm not as curious about this shit.
3) Not wide enough. This won't satisfy my nutbladder.

Love Live! School idol project - 1/6/13
I heard a few character songs and CD shits from Anime-Sharing a month-plus ago. Seems like a poor man's iDOLM@STER.

I ran across a a song from this back when I still used my iTouch to watch videos (woah, nostalgia). EC's description of it seems apt. I'll take a look at the songs (they seem to be worth my time one day...namely when chrome/shockwave player aren't whining and crashing like bitches), but I only see myself actually watching it if EC and ML start raving about it. I adopted a similar pattern for iDOLM@STER.

Speaking of which...there's a NND vid crossing the two series over.


Senran Kagura - 1/6/13
This female feudal boob-fighter extravaganza bullshit again? Sigh...I hope this one can top the flop that was Sengoku Collection.

Oh Jesus...
Hey, CrimsonMonarch, I think we got one right up your alley here.

Ishida to Asakura - 1/6/13
Uh...what?

The exceedingly detailed Wikipedia entry for this says that it was written by "Masao." Being a habitual surfer of the imageboard Danbooru and its somewhat more slutty cousin Gelbooru, series and artist names very occasionally sound familiar with me. In this case, I seemed to recall a comment or so along the lines of "Masao strikes again."

As it turns out, I was half right. The actual comment was "Ao Usagi strikes again." However, I soon realized why I'd confused the two.


They are both huge fucking trolls, with a penchant for risque images. Their works often evoke "wtf" reactions from viewers. Masao's tend to be more disturbing/strange imo though.

As such, I need to watch at least one episode of this. This is too big of a possible troll to pass up.

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman - 1/7/13
Robin Hood theme. Japanese background. Lupin III character design.

Whatever floats your boat.

This is not a nice boat. 

Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke - 1/7/13
Zettai Karen Children spinoff, apparently. ZKC fans rejoice? I need OboeOtaku's opinion on this, since I haven't read the manga original myself...

Personally, I always hated Hyoubu because he keeps dicking around with the main characters and potentially interfering with the Minamoto X Kaoru ending I so hope for. I estimate myself being some 100-150 chapters behind, though, so idk what's happened more recently, which may affect this spinoff. I myself don't see myself watching this because I feel like there won't be enough loli Kaoru goodness in it.

Amnesia - 1/8/13
Otome game. We should get a girl anime watcher to review this shit. I haven't watched La storia della arcana famiglia or the other shounen ai stuff from 2 seasons ago, so I'm not sure how good these series can be...will reserve judgement until I've watched an episode.

Are there zombies in this too? Also, EC, you know enough girls who watch animu. Drag them here -____-

Senyuu. - 1/8/13
This is an interesting premise. The protagonist is ONE of the many possible heroes that are heading to chop off the baddie's head. Will this become some cliched 'oh the protagonist just happens to have a magical awesome power' series or something more unique? Let's see. 

I'll wait for EC's take on it before looking into it further. By that I mean "I'll wait for him to tell me whether there are enough lolis in the series."

GJ-bu - 1/9/13
The light novel is in a 4-koma format in terms of story/illustration? Sounds...devoid of content. OF MORE INTEREST IN THE LINK ABOVE: Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru [My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected] is greenlighted for anime! I read the manga and it seems to be decently meta - I hope it comes out soon!

Looks dumb.

Tamako Market - 1/9/13
Let's face it - Kyoto Animation didn't live up to its own standards with Chuunibyou (although it still kicked to the curb most of the other series that came out this Fall 2012 season). Can it redeem itself with this seemingly snail-paced slice-of-life? My head says "ehhhhhhhhhh the premise seems empty", my heart says "fuck yea KyoAni + slice-of-life let's gooooooo".

I don't see this series taking retarded turns to try and add in unnecessary drama like in Chuunibyou...and it's KyoAni...

Why the hell not?

gdgd Fairies [Season 2] - 1/9/13
How do you even pronounce these fairy names holy ballfuck

It seems the gdgd fairies are named Pkpk, Shrshr, and Krkr. Mthnks ths frs ht thr vwls.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai - 1/10/13

The art for this in the LN original is beautiful - no joke. The lines and the angles look like a refined version of Kiyotaka Haimura (Toaru Majutsu no Index LN)'s work. The story seems like a standard slice-of-life with a dash of rom-com...probably will be one of my regular watches this season, especially since it's being directed by Shinbo Akiyuki and Shaft. Mmmmmmmmmmm delicious.

Oh shit, it's this one. My rule of thumb is that anything from Shaft or KyoAni deserves at least a few episodes of watching. Also, hikikomori imoutos and a siscon brother...what could go wrong? It's Shaft.

Kotoura-san - 1/10/13

Hmm...a school rom-com disguised in a 4-koma format? The series is going to have to work pretty hard to make the pacing work so that the original material can keep up with the anime...



Vividred Operation - 1/10/13

Girls. Mechas. Brought to you by the director of Strike Witc-

Ah, but do these girls somehow sprout animal ears/tails when doing random shit too? 
No, I don't know the answer to that. Nor do I know much else about the shit with animal ears. Were you thinking I'd actually look into the matter? Pffft.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT - 1/10/13

No.

Season 1 sucked the proverbial dick. The second season is not likely to be much different. That is to say, it'll likely be eyecandy and literally nothing else. I will try and keep up with it because the loli nun and the loli poop vampire are just too good to pass up (the loli nun's older sister is also a fairly amusing character, if she decides to show up in the series). 

I hope the music is better this time. The ED for season one was nondescript, and the OP was, uh, what's the word for it again-that's right bullcrap

Chihayafuru 2 - 1/11/13

Better. To be quite honest though, the series is a bit too rambling for my tastes. It sort of tries to desperately cover everyone and their character development via karuta, the card game, but in doing so, nobody really gets a good arc and instead we just have to listen to what each character is thinking for 5 minutes each episode. Tiring, but I already have season one, so I'll just DL it and wait until later to watch.

Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? - 1/11/13

Premise is interesting. Will it turn out well? Uncertain. Will I keep an eye on it? Maybe. Again, it's only been out since 2011. Does it even have enough material for 11 episodes?

Ooo, pretty bunny girl, let's watc-*COUGH COUGH HARRUMPH* I mean, this seems, uh, interesting. I just might look into it.

Hetalia The Beautiful World - 1/25/13

Goddamn it. If I wanted to know what the Japanese perspectives were on nations during the global crises of the latter half of the 20th century and in general, I would have opened up a Wikipedia page to Japanese imperialism and seen how many clicks it would take for me to get to atomic bomb.

This shit can't die fast enough.

Mein Gott is a fairly good song imo. However, I kinda think the series in itself is pretty pointless. It can probably garner some laughs, but too many people substitue much better series such as KnJ with this crap, so I dislike it.

Dokidoki! Precure - 2/3/13

Fuck this Pretty Cure shit. I want Magical Girl Pretty Bell instead.


That Pretty Bell stuff looks pretty good. Personally, I want some Fate/kaleid liner PRISMAILLYA.
-----

This Winter '12 was pretty damn good, even compared to the other years. Little Busters!/Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo/Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai helped to spearhead this season, with OniiAi, K, and Zetsuen no Tempest also making for pretty solid backup-watches when the first three weren't on my to-go list. To Love-Ru ~Darkness~ and Magi are good adaptations for what the manga are (with both very likely to get a second season), and Manglobe even managed to make a Hayate anime adaptation watchable (which I previously thought impossible). Anyways, even if nothing particularly popped out except Sakurasou  and Chuunibyou failed by KyoAni's standards, Winter '12 was a very good season.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this year. Waiting for the Seitokai no Ichizon BD 720ps to come out; Oreimo will finish and the hype will end; a lot of random LN adaptations are coming out that I didn't expect; Monogatari will run its full course this year, either ending at the second Nadeko 'evil boss trololo' arc or slightly beyond; and more. This Winter '13 season doesn't look too pleasant, however, except for the Monogatari series (and even that's slowly becoming slow-paced and tiring), Sasami-san, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, and OreShura, and I'm being generous here. But after a bad winter, hopefully, will come a bountiful Spring. Here's to a new year full of great series!

Let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment