Saturday, July 2, 2011

Conclusion: Hidan no Aria

Soooo I finished Hidan no Aria a while ago. And...it actually didn't have that much fanservice because the series was cranking out its plot conclusion at 500 mph. Kinda disappointing, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
I AM AAAAAAHHHNALLLLDDDD
The anime managed to finish the Vlad arc in time. It's most likely going to have a season 2 because the ending of season 1 was ambiguous enough for me to go "what" when the credits started to roll. This leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, except perhaps not as bad as what TWGOK II did. Give it another season and perhaps I'll facepalm a bit harder.
Again, for those of you who haven't heard me rant about this, PLEASE READ THE LIGHT NOVEL. It is so much better than the short stick that the anime adaptation shoves up your ass pulls.
Hidan no Aria, caught in the bear trap of "omfg light novel arcs too big", has gone where many adaptations have sadly gone, to the land of "this isn't going anywhere ASDF" AKA Mediocre-town. The town's population is always growing and I believe escaping requires an actual deviation from the norm, something more than a 12-episode blip to sell the novel, in order to have a truly great adapted series. Either that or a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.
I would NOT suggest watching this unless you are a diehard fan of the LN series and just want to see Shirayuki's inner Yandere awakened in animated form. If you're not a fan, then you might as well just watch the car-crash-into-helicopter scene from Die Hard 4 12 times in a row, overlaying different faces onto Bruce Willis each time, then call it a day. It'll give you a sense of what Hidan no Aria wants you to feel.
I really have nothing much to say, again, that I didn't already say in the first impressions that really deviated. I hope to see a more fluid, enriched harem series next year, along with yet another excellent OP. Here's a treat for you guys - a piano transcription of Scarlet Ballet that actually follows the notes/phrases/mood very well (usually transcriptions are out of tune, turn into ballads when it's supposed to be presto, and have a number of different issues).

2 comments: